We’re looking for a Content Designer to help Zapier's Support Experience team craft a seamless self-service experience. Content is a critical part of the customer journey at Zapier, helping users all the way from discovery to mastery. If you’re an experienced content designer ready to help our users learn Zapier and solve their problems without needing to email customer support, then read on!
In this role, you'll serve as both a strategist and a creator. You’ll drive day-to-day content creation for our help center, community, and in-product support experiences, while also creating content plans, style guides, and processes to scale this effort across the company. And on top of that, as the first ever content designer at Zapier, you’ll play an important role in establishing the practice at the company.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You’re an excellent writer. You can communicate clearly and succinctly. You have a firm grasp on the rules of grammar, know how to adjust your tone for a context, and create content quickly.
You have a user-centered approach to content design. You use user research to inform your writing. You know that the words we use in an interface are a critical part of the experience. You’re familiar with the process of user-centered design and you've worked hand-in-hand with designers.
You have experience creating and enforcing a style guide. You know that consistency is key and are able to create rules and catch when they’re broken. You know how to develop content frameworks that fit within brand guidelines and can live as part of a design system.
You might have experience writing documentation. If you have experience crafting support documentation that helps users learn and troubleshoot a product that’s a huge plus.
You’re a strong information architect. You should have experience conducting card-sorts and creating site maps, and be able to quickly make decisions about where a new page should fall in a hierarchy.
You know how to break complex material into digestible chunks. Zapier is a technical product with a lot of complexity. You’ll need to find ways to explain difficult concepts in ways anyone can understand and work across the company to ensure we use the same language everywhere.
You’re a systems thinker. You will drive the process for creating and maintaining content across many teams. You’ll need to think in terms of processes and see how the work of other parts of the company relates to the help center.
You enjoy being a leader and coach for others. This is the first content designer role at Zapier, so there will be a big role to play in educating others about content design and defining the discipline at the company.
You’re a quick study. With over 1,000 app integrations on Zapier, there’s a lot to learn. You’ll need to be able to digest a lot of information and get up to speed fast.
Things you might do
- Write, organize, and update product documentation—a lot of it. Zapier is always changing, and with over 1,000 apps on Zapier's platform, we have a lot of ground to cover with our documentation. The first order of business for this role is to make sure that users can learn how to use the product and solve their problems in the help center.
- Build and maintain a style guide and controlled vocabulary. Approve all help content before it goes into the help center to make sure it follows the style guide.
- Work with the support team to identify new content we need and collaborate with them to write the docs. You’ll tap into the expertise that comes from being in constant communication with our users to make sure we have the content we need, and you’ll serve as an editor and mentor to level up the contributions from the rest of the team.
- Contribute content to our upcoming support forums and drive the content strategy that will help us determine what kind of content to put into the community.
- Coordinate with our editorial, marketing, and email teams to build a cohesive content strategy.
- Work with product designers to create solutions to our users’ needs. Sometimes this will mean working out some microcopy. Other times it will mean designing entire organization and navigation systems alongside the design of page templates.
- Participate in user research activities. You’ll talk to users to better understand their mental models and needs, and conduct usability and comprehension testing of the content you write to make sure it addresses those needs.
- Monitor the performance of content and use that data to continuously improve it. You’ll work with the data team to monitor usage analytics, track customer feedback to spot trends and gaps, and proactively identify new opportunities to improve key business metrics through improved content and usability.
- Create and manage a content calendar. You’ll plan for what content needs to be produced to align with product changes and new releases, and work both independently and with others to hit deadlines.
- Drive content governance. You’ll be the bottom-line owner of help content, serving as the final say of what gets published and where.
- Give, seek, and receive thoughtful critical feedback. You’ll help others become better writers and become a better writer yourself.
For the past seven years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. Our distributed lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.