Vox approaches journalism differently. We help audiences make sense of the world around them, from health care and Covid-19 to protests against police brutality to politics and presidents. We are an evolving resource for news consumers that is wide-ranging and truly multi-platform: daily news podcasts, television shows, a website that reaches millions of people every month. We create impact: the U.S. government uses our charts to flatten the curve of the pandemic, and Hong Kong protestors show our videos in airports to help travelers understand their cause. Vox enters its seventh year with ever-expanding reach, ambition and innovation.
Vox seeks an Editor-in-Chief to lead our award-winning editorial team of writers, video producers, engagement editors, and visual journalists, who work across a wide variety of topic areas. The ideal candidate is an experienced, visionary journalist and newsroom leader. We want someone thrilled and invigorated by the possibility of building upon Vox’s strong foundation, and exploring new and different directions. Recognizing Vox’s strengths, the new Editor-in-Chief must have an ambitious vision for the next phase of Vox, and will have a plan for how to execute that vision across the newsroom.
**What you’ll do: **
- Create and execute an ambitious vision for Vox editorial in 2021 and beyond.
- Successfully manage and lead a ~120 person newsroom.
- Set short- and long-term editorial priorities and work with senior editors on delivering those priorities to their teams.
- Work with Vox Media executives and the Publisher, as well as TV, audio, and consumer revenue leads, to align on editorial and business strategy.
- Develop, execute, and champion initiatives to continue to make Vox a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive newsroom, and prioritize these initiatives as both a manager and a journalist.
- Elevate and refine the quality of reporting, writing, and video production.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the brand, responsible for reaching new and existing new audiences.
**What you'll bring: **
- A deep understanding and appreciation of the media industry – and how it can and should be better.
- A vision for Vox’s next phase, and a plan to realize that vision.
- High-level experience in newsroom management.
- A general news mindset, and a wide range of coverage interests across multiple mediums.
- Ability to spot and cultivate talent across mediums.
- A diverse set of editorial leadership talents: The ability to make stories sing, develop journalists, train and support editors, and clearly communicate guidance and feedback.
- Demonstrated experience in inspiring journalistic ambition and creativity on editorial teams.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated skill in leading large, complex teams, and in managing senior leaders.
- Enthusiasm for and experience in leading successfully through organizational change.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
More about Vox Media:
Vox Media’s portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.