UnboundEd is dedicated to ensuring that education systems disrupt systemic racism by providing students of color meaningful, engaging and affirming grade-level instruction. We are a team of former classroom teachers, curriculum writers, and school and program leaders dedicated to empowering educators to meet the challenges set by higher standards, unfinished instruction, and institutional racism. We provide immersive instructional equity professional development, free high-quality standards-aligned resources for the classroom, and other professional learning opportunities for teachers, coaches, and leaders. We thrive in working collaboratively and work to dismantle white supremist structures within our own organization and within the education system.
The Vice President, Research, Strategy and Evaluation is an important part of UnboundEd’s research team. While the position is part of a larger research function at UnboundEd, this position will serve as the strategic and technical lead for an important new federally-funded initiative, the Math Identity Leadership Accelerator (MILA) program, as both its strategic and technical leader for MILA and the US ED Supporting Effective Educator Development (SEED) research project which funds it. MILA is focused on transforming how principals and other school leaders raise math achievement, and aims to assist these leaders in designing and implementing collaborative planning teams to raise educators’ awareness and ability to teach multiple problem-solving strategies in a culturally relevant/responsive manner. This is the ideal opportunity for a skilled research program leader to help pioneer a powerful program grounded in the intersection of evidence-based math content and culturally relevant/responsive instruction, and UnboundEd’s deep experience providing excellent standards-aligned immersive training and instructional resources.
UnboundEd is a virtual organization and this employee can be based anywhere in the United States. UnboundEd has core business hours where we expect all staff to be available from 10 am to 5 pm ET and occasional travel is required.
The essential responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
Research Design and Implementation
- Interpret and translate existing frameworks, research and guidance, to effectively design the cohort-based MILA program, which is also a research project, and ensure implementation with fidelity to the research grant proposal and guidelines.
- Define the program’s short- and long-term goals, and establish progress tracking over time, with particular focus on tracking progress in alignment with the research grant requirements.
- Monitor and evaluate the development and implementation of mathematics professional development content for math educators, including teachers, coaches and leaders.
Alongside the Director, MILA Program Relationships, develop strong relationships with MILA participants and partners:
- Conduct regular check-ins with participants and partners.
- Provide feedback, resources, and thought partnership to participants and partners.
- Disseminate key materials to relevant, key audiences as necessary.
- Develop strong relationships and share findings with external evaluation partner, HUMRRO.
- Collaborate across internal teams to ensure appropriate content development and implementation of each adult learning event/experience.
- Collaborate with participants and external partners to effectively implement all aspects of the MILA program from launch through evaluation.
Research Project Evaluation and Reporting
- Collaborate with internal and external research and evaluation teams to develop the project evaluation process.
- Provide insight from the MILA program to inform alignment across UnboundEd services and offerings.
Establish and implement effective participant feedback mechanisms:
- Work closely with UnboundEd colleagues and external partners (e.g., coaches) to assess participant feedback; apply learnings as necessary.
- Collect and analyze results, trends or patterns in qualitative and quantitative data sets.
- Track distribution, feedback, and impact of shared materials.
- Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in education leadership, teacher education development, research and evaluation, or a related field, and a minimum of ten (10) years of experience with progressive responsibilities in data analysis, program design and evaluation, psychometrics, and/or statistics
- Documented history of working on federal grants and related publishing
- Deep knowledge and fluency with current educational best practices and theories of culturally relevant/responsive instruction
- Proven experience defining, measuring, and reporting on measurable accountability metrics
- Other equivalent combinations of relevant experience and training will also be considered
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to UnboundEd’s vision and core values
- Learning orientation and commitment toward diversity, equity and inclusion
- Exceptional qualitative and quantitative data analysis abilities
- Knowledge of evaluation epistemology and theory
- Knowledge of urban school environments
- Ability to gather and distill evidence to legally and accurately support inferences
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a virtual, remote environment and build strong relationships with colleagues and partners across geographies and time zones
- Willingness to work alongside a dynamic, highly collaborative and mission-driven team
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Google-based applications and online collaboration tools such as Slack, Basecamp and/or Teamwork
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
UnboundEd offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, and a generous benefits package that includes take-as-you-need vacation and sick time, group medical, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance plans, and an employer-sponsored 401K retirement plan with an annual 3% match. This is a three-year, exempt full-time position, contingent upon annual grant renewal, with an annual salary range of $130,000 - $190,000.
UnboundEd’s Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
UnboundEd is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply to our positions. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort, particularly individuals who have lived or worked in underserved urban communities.