UnboundEd is dedicated to ensuring that education systems disrupt systemic racism by providing students of color meaningful, engaging and affirming grade-level instruction. We are a team of former classroom teachers, curriculum writers, and school and program leaders dedicated to empowering educators to meet the challenges set by higher standards, unfinished instruction, and institutional racism. We provide immersive instructional equity professional development, free high-quality standards-aligned resources for the classroom, and other professional learning opportunities for teachers, coaches, and leaders. We thrive in working collaboratively and work to dismantle white supremist structures within our own organization and within the education system.
As Specialist, Math Programs (MILA - Math Identity Leadership Accelerator) you will collaborate on the development of professional development content and resources for culturally relevant/responsive K-12 math content and instruction. This position will also work with a team to gather data from the field about what may be causing positive student outcomes in math instruction, and why.
UnboundEd is a virtual organization and this employee can be based anywhere in the United States. UnboundEd has core business hours where we expect all staff to be available from 10 am to 5 pm ET and occasional travel is required.
The essential responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
Math Content Development
- Develop culturally relevant/responsive math instruction tools and professional development materials for school leaders and math educators.
- Evaluate a wide range of mathematics professional development content for math educators, including teachers, coaches and leaders.
- Participate in cycles of math content contribution review for self and other team members.
- Develop and facilitate math-focused adult learning experiences as assigned and in alignment with design specifications and the SEED research grant’s guidelines, as well as train others to also facilitate these adult learning experiences.
- Participate in virtual and/or in-person school/site visits to collect data for research and development to inform content.
- Monitor and evaluate the facilitation of math-related adult learning experiences, including direct feedback to facilitators.
- Stay up to date on the latest mathematics research and developments in the field.
- Support selected math projects as required.
- Contribute to program development cycles to inform future program services and offerings.
- Collaborate with the Program Implementation team on the execution of each adult learning event/experience.
- Contribute to research activities, including grant-based research projects that require regular reporting on progress.
- Contribute to UnboundEd’s marketing and communications strategy through social media, blogs and podcasts.
- Collaborate with the marketing team on the development of instructional media to supplement lessons.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred, from an accredited college or university in mathematics or a related field of study
- Three (3) years of K-12 teaching experience in a mathematics subject area, and one (1) or more years of professional experience developing, writing, observing, teaching, and/or facilitating mathematics curriculum materials, including knowledge of widely used OER tools
- Deep knowledge of mathematics content and the Common Core State Standards
- Other equivalent combinations of relevant experience and training will also be considered
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to UnboundEd’s vision and core values
- Learning orientation and commitment toward diversity, equity and inclusion
- Deep knowledge of urban school environments
- Thorough knowledge of current educational principles, best practices, and theory related to mathematics education including deep knowledge of research-based instructional strategies that support mathematics education
- Working knowledge of culturally relevant/responsive instruction principles
- Working knowledge of school leadership tenets and theories
- Strong project management skills related to curriculum development, including writing, editing, and assessing curriculum
- Strong technical writing skills, including proofreading and copyediting
- Experience with adult learning theories and pedagogy
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a virtual, remote environment and build strong relationships with colleagues and partners across geographies and time zones
- Willingness to work alongside a dynamic, highly collaborative and mission-driven team
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Google-based applications and online collaboration tools such as Slack, Basecamp and/or Teamwork
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
UnboundEd offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, and a generous benefits package that includes take-as-you-need vacation and sick time, group medical, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance plans, and an employer-sponsored 401K retirement plan with an annual 3% match. This is a three-year, exempt full-time position, contingent upon annual grant renewal, with an annual salary range of $70,000 - $115,000.
UnboundEd’s Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
UnboundEd is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply to our positions. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort, particularly individuals who have lived or worked in underserved urban communities.