UnboundEd is dedicated to ensuring that education systems disrupt systemic racism by providing students of color meaningful, engaging and affirming grade-level instruction. We are a team of former classroom teachers, curriculum writers, and school and program leaders dedicated to empowering educators to meet the challenges set by higher standards, unfinished instruction, and institutional racism. We provide immersive instructional equity professional development, free high-quality standards-aligned resources for the classroom, and other professional learning opportunities for teachers, coaches, and leaders. We thrive in working collaboratively and work to dismantle white supremist structures within our own organization and within the education system.
Reporting to the Vice President, Instructional Design and Products, the Specialist, Instructional Design at UnboundEd plays an important role as part of the Program Design and Development team by ensuring that the user experience drives the design and development of all UnboundEd’s adult learning events, experiences and products. This is the ideal position for someone who is passionate about adult learning, understands content-driven instructional design principles, and is eager to develop high-quality instructional experiences for educators.
UnboundEd is a virtual organization and this employee can be based anywhere in the United States. UnboundEd has core business hours where we expect all staff to be available from 10 am to 5 pm ET and occasional travel is required.
Essential responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
Subject Matter Expertise and Technical Design
- Analyze existing instructional materials for alignment to outcomes, objectives, and target audience learning needs
- Work with the program team’s content experts to understand the skills, knowledge, beliefs and behaviors learning experiences are intended to evoke
- Recommend/design/operationalize instructional models/delivery strategies appropriate for intended learning.
Design high-quality program content for online and in-person learning experiences for K-12 educators using rapid authoring tools:
- Design the overall user experience (UX) with a focus on interactivity and the specific activity and experience for each step of the overall learning experience, including production of graphic design elements and checks for understanding/other assessments
- Work with content subject matter experts to develop and edit online and in-person learning material and content
- Produce/create multimedia content as needed
- Create new layouts and graphics
- Assist Content Team with producing materials that are engaging, clear, and accurate
- Ensuring that the content meets necessary specifications for delivery mechanism
- Stay current in the field of online learning and instructional design theory for adult learning
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in education technology or a related field of study, Master’s degree preferred, two (2) years of K-12 teaching experience and three (3) years of experience using course authoring software/tools
- Proficiency with Blackboard, Canvas, Camtasia, Captivate, Moodle or proprietary LMS
- Equivalent combination of experience and training will be considered.
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to UnboundEd’s vision and core values
- Learning orientation and commitment toward diversity, equity and inclusion
- Knowledge of educators in an urban school environment
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a virtual, remote environment and build strong relationships with colleagues and partners across geographies and time zones
- Deep knowledge and understanding of adult learning and instructional design principles
- Experience with a variety of instructional design approaches appropriate for reaching a variety learning outcomes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience designing and embedding assessment and evaluation tools into learning experiences
- A strong track record of designing and building collaborative learning environments
- Familiarity with website design, video technology, and authoring and editing tools
- Willingness to work alongside a dynamic, highly collaborative and mission-driven team
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Google-based applications and online collaboration tools such as Slack, Trello, Jira, and Confluence
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
UnboundEd offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, and a generous benefits package that includes take-as-you-need vacation and sick time, group medical, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance plans, and an employer-sponsored 401K retirement plan with an annual 3% match. This is a three-year, exempt full-time position, contingent upon annual grant renewal, with an annual salary range of $70,000 - $115,000.
UnboundEd’s Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
UnboundEd is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply to our positions. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort, particularly individuals who have lived or worked in underserved urban communities.