UnboundEd is dedicated to ensuring that education systems disrupt systemic racism by providing students of color meaningful, engaging and affirming grade-level instruction. We are a team of former classroom teachers, curriculum writers, and school and program leaders dedicated to empowering educators to meet the challenges set by higher standards, unfinished instruction, and institutional racism. We provide immersive instructional equity professional development, free high-quality standards-aligned resources for the classroom, and other professional learning opportunities for teachers, coaches, and leaders. We thrive in working collaboratively and work to dismantle white supremist structures within our own organization and within the education system.
The Manager, Talent Operations works to operationalize UnboundEd’s talent strategy with an embedded equity lens. Talent work at UnboundEd is critical to its ongoing journey to center diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), and it includes new employee recruitment, hiring, and onboarding, employee appreciation and engagement, organizational/group benefits and wellness efforts, and ongoing employee development and performance management. This position also provides “human resources generalist” level support to UnboundEd colleagues, assisting with organizational development, compensation, and employee relations, and is ideal for someone with a human resources generalist background who is a strong project manager eager to leverage the tactical details of talent operations with the opportunity to grow their adaptive leadership skills.
UnboundEd is a virtual organization and this employee can be based anywhere in the United States. UnboundEd has core business hours where we expect all colleagues to be available from 10 am to 5 pm ET and occasional travel is required.
Essential responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
Talent Operations and Human Resources Generalist Support
- Assist in designing and implementing systems and structures for effective recruitment, selection, hiring and onboarding processes that position UnboundEd to attract strong talent, and for new employees to have a strong entry into the organization.
- Collaborate with UnboundEd’s PEO (professional employer organization) to ensure the best possible group health and ancillary benefits and annual enrollment process for employees (including participation in an annual review of the offerings, development of information session content, and communications and tracking of individual enrollments).
- Manage any workplace accommodations, disability/workers comp claims, and employees leave of absence in alignment with UnboundEd’s policies and in collaboration with UnboundEd’s PEO and the organization’s talent leadership, including its General Counsel.
- Maintain systems and tools to collect appropriate documentation for personnel files in a timely manner (e.g., W-4s, I-9s, Non-Disclosure and Intellectual Property Agreements, change of employment status, etc.)
- Manage an annual review process to update UnboundEd’s employee handbook and workplace policies, and coordinate the communication and distribution process to all employees.
- Interface and audit employee records as necessary; complete employment verification requests, stay current with wage and hour compliance, and ensure employment records are accurate.
Cross-Functional and Cross-Team Collaboration
- Collaborate with/participate in UnboundEd’s DEI Committee to ensure alignment between organizational DEI goals and talent operations (e.g., expectations for DEI skills and learnings are reflected in performance management and core values, DEI goals are reflected in UnboundEd’s recruitment strategy, etc.)
- Collaborate with/participate in UnboundEd’s Kindness Project, a group of employees who lead a variety of opportunities to foster authentic employee engagement, appreciation for colleagues, and an inclusive workplace culture and climate.
- Work closely with UnboundEd’s finance team to provide data they need for their work (e.g., group health benefit enrollment and costs for annual budgeting cycle, employee information necessary to accurately execute payroll cycles, etc.)
Organizational Capacity and Talent Infrastructure
- Assist with the development, training, and tracking of employee performance feedback cycles.
- Manage and track the completion of annual legally-mandated training for managers and employees (e.g., anti-harassment/discrimination training, etc.) and identify new training opportunities that may not be legally required.
- Assist in managing workplace conflict resolution and employee relations concerns.
- Act as a resource to employees and managers to ensure a healthy, safe workplace culture and climate that centers DEI and UnboundEd’s core values.
- Assist in the design, development, and implementation of new policies and programs as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in human resources, education, or a related field and a minimum of three (3) years of human resources or talent operations experience
- Other equivalent combination of relevant experience and training will also be considered
- HR certification desired, but not required (e.g., aPHR, aPHRi, PHR, SHRM-CP)
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to UnboundEd’s vision and core values
- Learning orientation and commitment toward diversity, equity and inclusion
- Knowledge of urban school environments
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a virtual, remote environment and build strong relationships with colleagues and partners across geographies and time zones
- Strong attention to detail and excellent project management skills
- Experience and comfort in a context of competing priorities with limited resources and infrastructure
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with situations that may involve confidential or sensitive matters
- Willingness to work alongside a dynamic, highly collaborative and mission-driven team
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Google-based applications and online collaboration tools such as Slack, Basecamp and/or Teamwork
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
UnboundEd offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, and a generous benefits package that includes take-as-you-need vacation and sick time, group medical, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance plans, and an employer-sponsored 401K retirement plan with an annual 3% match. This is an exempt full-time position with an annual salary range of $70,000 - $115,000.
UnboundEd’s Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
UnboundEd is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply to our positions. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort, particularly individuals who have lived or worked in underserved urban communities.