UnboundEd is dedicated to ensuring that education systems disrupt systemic racism by providing students of color meaningful, engaging and affirming grade-level instruction. We are a team of former classroom teachers, curriculum writers, and school and program leaders dedicated to empowering educators to meet the challenges set by higher standards, unfinished instruction, and institutional racism. We provide immersive instructional equity professional development, free high-quality standards-aligned resources for the classroom, and other professional learning opportunities for teachers, coaches, and leaders. We thrive in working collaboratively and work to dismantle white supremist structures within our own organization and within the education system.
Reporting to the Vice President, Mathematics, the Director, Mathematics Leadership is a critical role within the UnboundEd program team, working to ensure that the unique lens of how to implement strong mathematics programs at the school-wide or district-wide level is embedded into the design and development of various UnboundEd services and offerings. This position will collaborate closely with instructional designers and mathematics content specialists to develop programs that support UnboundEd’s partner school districts to raise mathematics achievement in a variety of ways. This position is ideal for someone who is eager to help develop powerful programs grounded in the intersection of evidence-based mathematics content and culturally relevant/responsive instruction, and UnboundEd’s reputation for providing excellent standards-aligned immersive training and resources.
UnboundEd is a virtual organization and this employee can be based anywhere in the United States. UnboundEd has core business hours where we expect all staff to be available from 10 am to 5 pm ET and occasional travel is required.
Essential responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Contribute to the design and development of UnboundEd programs and services focused on mathematics program implementation where the target audience are school and school system leaders.
- Help to ensure the overall effectiveness of mathematics programs by supporting the development of content, the facilitation of learning experiences, and the evaluation of program objectives.
- Help to lead/lead cycles of review to monitor the quality of the learning experience for participants, staff, and facilitators, and help to/adjust the program accordingly.
- Help to develop and review content to ensure the integrity and quality of culturally relevant/responsive mathematics instruction is central to the program or offering.
- Serve in an editorial capacity as needed.
- Serve as the subject matter expert on the successful implementation of mathematics programs that intersect with rigorous standards-aligned mathematics concepts and culturally relevant/responsive instruction.
- Stay current with mathematics trends, competitive market, and the latest research-based instructional practices that align K-12 mathematics standards and culturally relevant/responsive math instruction.
Coaching and Facilitation
- As needed, facilitate, or train facilitators on the delivery of, content for school and school system leaders who participate in UnboundEd’s professional development programs and offerings.
- Collaborate with and support colleagues and cross-functional teams in their work to develop collateral for marketing, research, etc. or expansion of programs and offerings.
- Assist with the preparation of all instructional materials including presentations, handouts, etc. for each in-person and/or virtual session and/or event
- Provide leadership coaching to school and school system leaders participating in UnboundEd’s MILA (Mathematics Identity Leadership Accelerator) Program, as well as other mathematics programs and offerings.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in education, educational leadership, mathematics, or a related field, Master’s degree preferred.
- Four (4) years experience as a K-12 school building leader or two (2) years supervising K-12 school building leaders, and two (2) years developing mathematics content for adult professional experiences or supporting school leaders with the implementation of mathematics curriculum/programs.
- Other equivalent combinations of relevant experience, education, and training will also be considered.
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to UnboundEd’s vision and core values
- Learning orientation and commitment toward diversity, equity and inclusion
- Knowledge of urban school environments from the perspective of a school building or district level leader
- Deep understanding of K-12 standards-aligned mathematics curriculum and content and/or how to implement mathematics instructional programs at the school or district level
- Deep understanding of school leadership theories and practice.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a virtual, remote environment and build strong relationships with colleagues and partners across geographies and time zones
- Exposure to and experience with developing mathematics instructional content for adult learning/professional development
- Ability to develop infrastructure and systems where none exists to support successful creation and implementation of programs/experiences for educators and school/school system leaders
- Willingness to work alongside a dynamic, highly collaborative and mission-driven team
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Google-based applications and online collaboration tools such as Slack, Basecamp and/or Teamwork
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
UnboundEd offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, and a generous benefits package that includes take-as-you-need vacation and sick time, group medical, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance plans, and an employer-sponsored 401K retirement plan with an annual 3% match. This is a three-year, exempt full-time position, contingent upon annual grant renewal, with an annual salary range of $100,000 - $155,000.
UnboundEd’s Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
UnboundEd is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply to our positions. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort, particularly individuals who have lived or worked in underserved urban communities.