UnboundEd is dedicated to ensuring that education systems disrupt systemic racism by providing students of color meaningful, engaging and affirming grade-level instruction. We are a team of former classroom teachers, curriculum writers, and school and program leaders dedicated to empowering educators to meet the challenges set by higher standards, unfinished instruction, and institutional racism. We provide immersive instructional equity professional development, free high-quality standards-aligned resources for the classroom, and other professional learning opportunities for teachers, coaches, and leaders. We thrive in working collaboratively and work to dismantle white supremist structures within our own organization and within the education system.
The Deputy Chief, Research, Strategy & Evaluation, reporting to the Chief Program Officer, is responsible for helping UnboundEd identify its desired outcomes for all services and offerings, ensures that their design leads to obtaining those desired outcomes, and that services and offerings are firmly grounded in a research base that considers standards alignment, adult learning science, and culturally relevant teaching. Additionally, the Deputy Chief, Research, Strategy & Evaluation drives the design and strategy for how UnboundEd measures its impact through the design, collection, reporting, and analysis of assessments and data, including research grants and projects, and they collaborate with other senior leaders in the organization to ensure coherence and understanding of organizational vision and strategy.
UnboundEd is a virtual organization and this employee can be based anywhere in the United States. UnboundEd has core business hours where we expect all staff to be available from 10 am to 5 pm ET and occasional travel is required.
Essential responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Articulate a compelling purpose for the Research, Strategy and Evaluation team and function at UnboundEd, including drawing explicit connections between how the team’s work informs UnboundEd’s program design and strategy to create results that align to its vision.
- Proactively advise and provide technical expertise to UnboundEd’s senior leadership team and program leads regarding measurement learning and evaluation.
- Work with UnboundEd’s senior leadership team to facilitate the ongoing development of organizational vision and strategy, and its measurement.
- Lead UnboundEd’s formative evaluation work, as well as formative assessment of all UnboundEd programs toward continuous improvement by creating systems and routines that produce recommendations for how programs can be strengthened in pursuit of outcomes.
Technical Expertise and Public-Facing Work
- Translate internal and external research findings and statistical and narrative reports for a wide variety of audiences, including staff, board members, and external partners and stakeholders.
- Create presentations, memos, talking points and other communication tools that can be used to demonstrate UnboundEd’s impact/influence in the education field.
- Explore and pursue grant-funded research opportunities, and supervise UnboundEd’s application for these, and if selected, their implementation, reporting and adherence to grant guidelines.
- Represent UnboundEd at education research networking opportunities, conferences, speaking engagements, and panel discussions.
- Stay abreast of the latest developments and trends in educational research and evaluation.
Research and Evaluation Data Collection, Analytics, and Management
- Supervise the implementation of research-based federal and other grants
- Define what UnboundEd services should and can be tracked, measured, and analyzed.
- Provide counsel on legal and ethical issues relating to research and evaluation.
- Create and design assessments that can withstand legal/external scrutiny.
- Create organizational structure and process for data management, including the selection of data collection and analysis tools, platforms, software, etc.
- Create strategies and plans for collecting qualitative and quantitative data and executing evaluation initiatives.
- Design formative and summative assessments to gather evidence and feedback about UnboundEd’s impact/results.
- Generate logic models for expected impact of Unbounded’s services, and create concrete objectives to prove UnboundEd’s value and impact.
Team Management and Cross-Team Collaboration
- Lead and develop an engaged, diverse, and effective team of approximately five staff members.
- Cultivate strong relationships with UnboundEd colleagues, other education organizational partners, school system clients, and UnboundEd’s philanthropic network.
- A Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in a related field, and ten (10) years of professional experience in data analysis, program evaluation, psychometrics, and/or statistics
- Clear evidence of the understanding of education history/policy (coursework, publication, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of current educational best practices and theory related to research and evaluation methodology
- Proficient knowledge of the Common Core State Standards, adult learning science, and culturally relevant teaching
- Other equivalent combinations of relevant experience and training will also be considered
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- Commitment to UnboundEd’s vision and core values
- Learning orientation and commitment toward diversity, equity and inclusion
- Knowledge of urban school environments
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a virtual, remote environment and build strong relationships with colleagues and partners across geographies and time zones
- Experience creating assessments/certification tests and defining and maintaining accountability metrics
- Experience with education policy issues and education reform initiatives
- Willingness to work alongside a dynamic, highly collaborative and mission-driven team
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office, Google-based applications and online collaboration tools such as Slack, Basecamp and/or Teamwork
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
UnboundEd offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, and a generous benefits package that includes take-as-you-need vacation and sick time, group medical, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance plans, and an employer-sponsored 401K retirement plan with an annual 3% match. This is an exempt full-time position.
UnboundEd’s Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
UnboundEd is an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities to apply to our positions. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort, particularly individuals who have lived or worked in underserved urban communities.