Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Platform Orchestration is a team in Twilio’s cloud Platform Engineering organization responsible for running the core compute, service-to-service communications, and deployment systems used across all Twilio engineering teams.
As Twilio continues its journey to empower our customers to build any communications experience across any channel, the Platform Orchestration team is at the forefront of ensuring we can match and scale as the business grows. As stewards of the future of how Twilio engineers run their applications, we sit at the intersection of application engineering, architecture, design, and operations -- the decisions we make and actions we take have a lasting impact on how services come to life at Twilio.
Twilio is looking for a Container Technical Lead who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of delivering web-scale platform services using containers and Kubernetes. They also have:
- 7+ years experience in application software engineering, platform systems engineering, or cloud systems engineering.
- Strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams, mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- You have in-depth, hands-on experience building platforms at scale for containerized workloads, particularly leveraging Kubernetes, including cluster provisioning, operations, workload optimization, custom controllers/operators, and workflow orchestration.
- Aren’t afraid of joining a remote-friendly, remote-first team and working across timezones in North America with periodic travel (< 10%) to Twilio HQ in San Francisco, CA.
- Bachelor’s Degree or demonstrated equivalent experience.
As a Container Technical Lead, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Engineering teams are autonomous mini-startups at Twilio. You will be the CTO of a compute platform startup responsible and accountable for technical vision, architecture, design and execution within the team. How do you design for the future, while guiding your team to employ proven practices that allow our compute platform to scale?
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Your team will ship great compute platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. You will help your team understand your customer’s pain points, identify problems, craft solutions, and the right value at the right time.
- WRITE IT DOWN: You will communicate effectively upward to executives, sideways to your peers, and downward to your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Are you respectful even in stressful situations?
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You will build trust within your team and lead from behind to grow your engineers to the next level. You lead from behind and take the front line when there is danger. You will find the balance between forward progress and mentoring your team.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Great technical leads consistently display good judgment. They make good decisions even in the face of ambiguity. They think and decide strategically while being mindful of the day to day tactical issues. How will you drive good decision-making, both personally and within your team?
- DRAW THE OWL: You’ll forge the vision for how containers and Kubernetes make an impact at Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
Twilio is comprised of 150+ empowered autonomous engineering teams that are mini-startups each responsible for a piece of the larger Twilio puzzle. We serve the many teams that build a wide array of application shapes, sizes, and flavors for Twilio. Orchestration provides compute services that are a part of each and every Twilio request, API call, data access, and customer interaction. It is extremely important for us to build a reliable, available, performant compute platform!
Twilio believes in the power of Platforms to create leverage and empower developers. Our internal platforms enable our own small teams of developers to stand on the shoulders of giants, enabling them to focus on making world-class services that delight our customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is located wherever you are in the United States of America: you’ll be a fully remote employee that works from home full-time. You’ll periodically travel to our HQ in San Francisco, CA; travel time is expected to be less than 10%.
What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.