The SEO team at Toptal is responsible for driving sustainable organic growth to Toptal’s public websites and landing pages. Reporting to the VP of Growth Product, you will be responsible for assessing, composing, and then leading the implementation of SEO strategy on one of Toptal’s key business channels. Working with the existing SEO team, you will be expected to take full ownership of your OKRs and the initiatives that achieve them - working closely with Product, Marketing, Content, and Publications teams to implement your vision, regularly reporting to senior management on progress and performance.
You will be expected to deliver what is necessary to maximize rankings and qualified traffic from Toptal’s existing products, and also the identification of new search spaces to build into, both in transactional landing pages and in the higher funnel, long-tail areas. In addition to owning the acquisition of organic traffic for your business area of Toptal, you will be expected to lead the experimentation program for these pages - both in terms of rankings optimization (title, headings, schema tests, etc.), and working with our Growth Product team on conversion optimization (CTAs, conversion modules, trust messaging, etc.).
Along with leading the implementation of your SEO strategy, you will be responsible for developing the wider on-page and off-page SEO program at Toptal, including the progression and development of Toptal’s internal tool and software development to enable increased insights, data, and speed of implementation to all SEO and Growth initiatives.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
· Develop and lead a scalable, sustainable SEO strategy that delivers strength to existing, high-performing landing pages and provides opportunities for growth of new pages, verticals, and content.
· A cornerstone of Toptal’s SEO leadership, you will be expected to contribute significantly to the growth, development, and evolution of the SEO program at Toptal.
· Collaborate closely with a dedicated Growth Product and Engineering team to execute your strategies.
· Conduct high-quality and detailed quantitative research to evolve and inform the direction of SEO across Toptal.
· Develop and maintain highly transparent and well-communicated methodologies for your strategies, with a focus on objective data, providing regular updates on progress and challenges.
· Clearly communicate SEO strategy and thought leadership to the SEO team, SEO requirements and research to the Product team, and SEO performance and plans to the senior leadership team.
· Conduct ongoing SERP analysis of critical head terms and optimize on-page content and internal link architecture.
· Identify and handle crawl errors, sitemaps, site speed issues, and any other technical issues that can impact ranking.
In the first week, expect to:
· Onboard and integrate into Toptal. Meet the teams and people you will have long-term working relationships with.
· Familiarize yourself with current and past SEO strategies and tactics.
· Assess and evaluate current SEO performance, opportunities, competitors, and areas of focus.
In the first month, expect to:
· Take ownership of your SEO roadmap, using your initial evaluation and opportunity assessment to prioritize.
· Work directly with the Growth Product team, Content team, and wider SEO and Marketing teams to plan and execute.
· Learn the details related to existing SEO and technology stacks.
In the first three months, expect to:
· Lead the execution of your first strategic projects.
· Contribute to the development of sophisticated internal SEO tooling to quantify performance and opportunities.
· Craft dashboards that improve transparency and accountability of SEO and begin reporting on SEO performance to the wider business.
In the first six months, expect to:
· Begin planning the iteration, scaling, and testing programs for your first initiatives.
· Become the SEO thought leader and motivate and inspire our dynamic SEO team.
· Ensure that the SEO team is accurately staffed, collaborating with leaders when necessary to recruit and onboard more people.
· Minimum 3 years of recent experience leading an SEO team.
· Prior experience in analytics, product, or web development.
· Deep understanding of fundamental SEO concepts such as PageRank, and Reasonable Surfer Model.
· Comfort collaborating with engineers, product managers, and marketers to accomplish SEO objectives.
· You are the type of person that craves accountability and responsibility, taking ownership of SEO initiatives and presenting to senior management on progress and performance.
· You believe in moving first in SEO, and have an inquisitive mindset that favors SEO testing and your own observed SEO data versus hive mind SEO groupthink and unproven “best practices”.
· Find joy in analytics and have a data-led approach, seeking to quantify strategic decisions and initiatives.
· Excellent, clear, and direct communication skills, both written and verbal, and experience working with senior leadership.
· Strong attention to detail and an understanding of what types of creative products are effective for organic growth and conversion.
· You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.