With 1 million merchants not everything will always run smoothly for everyone. That’s where Shopify’s Incident Response Team comes in.
This isn’t your typical Incident Response role- it’s about delivering strategic and empathetic communication when an incident occurs at Shopify. You don’t need an Incident Response background to be successful and we can teach you any of the technical bits.
We’re looking for strong writers who can utilize Shopify’s content style guide to communicate information regarding incidents at Shopify. From delivering a difficult “no” to distilling complex technical messaging into a merchant friendly action plan to responding to complaints from the Better Business Bureau, the incident communication team quickly responds to a wide variety of issues and incidents and creates communications for a variety of audiences using a variety of methods whether it be 1:1, 1:many, sending an email a tweet or posting a status page update. If you’re someone who gets excited about walking into a challenge where anything can happen, where your strategy might change half-way through and you have to think intuitively on your feet, this might be for you.
**We work with multiple teams including: engineering, security, workplace/safety, internal and external communications, legal, support, and of course our merchants to ensure the best communication possible no matter how undesirable the situation. **
At Shopify, we practice critical thinking over process. While we have processes in place for incident handling, these act as guides that will apply to most incidents we come across. We think critically throughout the response to incidents and make exceptions and/or additions to our standard processes as necessary, never defaulting to blindly following playbooks.
Please note: We're looking for someone to work 11-7pm PST, Monday through Friday with rotating weekends.
- Working collaboratively with internal stakeholders to develop communications for technical, security, and/or workplace incidents inclusive of email, social media, status page, a FAQ document for the Support team and sometimes jumping on an outbound phone call.
- Consistently & accurately recording incidents that come in to keep data maintained and measure trends.
- Understand the root cause of events through analysis and documentation and collaborate with teams to remediate any identified gaps or failures with the ultimate goal of reducing the likelihood of future incidents.
- Executing tasks related to the growth of the Incident Response Craft at Shopify. This could look like developing training for Support teams, doing research on merchant needs, etc.
Requirements for the role:
- Strong organizational awareness and influence; you aren’t afraid of and can effectively navigate hard conversations, ensuring the team is heard.
- You’re able to analyze all sides in a situation, understand context without being burdened by analysis paralysis or the emotion of a situation.
- Track record of making sound decisions with limited information and thrive in ambiguity.
- Extraordinary verbal and written communication skills, distilling technical complexity and tailoring the context of the conversation to both internal and client facing and 1:1 and 1:many audiences in incident situations.
- Proven success delivering content in high-pressure/high-risk environments with tight deadlines.
- Available to be part of a 24 hour on-call rotation shared across the team.
- Available to work 11-7pm PST Monday-Friday and rotating weekends every 3-4 weeks.
- Familiarity with a broad variety of products and services.
- Experience coaching or mentoring those more junior to you.
- Customer facing escalation management experience.