We’re looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented individual to take on a range of tasks involving Overleaf business support, sales support, and company admin. This is a remote, full-time role, based in the UK with convenient access to London.
This is a busy and varied role, supporting the business operations of the company.
Who we are
Overleaf is a mission-led organisation that builds modern collaborative authoring tools for scientists — like Google Docs for Science. Our primary product is an online, real time collaborative editor for papers, theses, technical reports and other documents written in the LaTeX markup language.
Overleaf has seen rapid adoption across science and research, and now supports a community of over eight million users worldwide. This community includes major institutions such as Stanford and Caltech, with Overleaf becoming an integral part not only of research collaborations but also of undergraduate teaching. Many large international tech companies and labs use our enterprise solutions, and we work with several major publishers: for example, supporting collaboration on IEEE’s member platform, and making the journal submission process smoother for LaTeX users across many academic publishers.
Overleaf was founded by two mathematicians who were inspired by their own experiences in academia to create a better solution for scientific collaboration and communication. Now we are a team of about fifty, based mainly in and around the UK and in the US. We were recently recognised as one of the UK's top 100 fastest growing businesses and as the Best SaaS for Nonprofits or Education in the 2020 SaaS Awards Program.
We're part of the Digital Science family of science, health and ed-tech companies.
About this role
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented individual to take on a range of tasks involving Overleaf business support, sales support, and company admin. This includes:
- Collaborating as needed with the Overleaf team and with our business partners to help ensure sales and purchasing are smooth and efficient processes.
- Being diligent and proactive in helping the company to keep accurate and up to date records across a range of company admin duties.
- Patiently and efficiently dealing with customer/supplier queries, usually via email, to support and enhance customer and supplier relationships.
- Accurate upkeep of customer transactions to ensure accurate records are maintained.
- Supporting the developing and maintenance of internal processes to help maintain business flow and agreed service standards.
- Providing information to ensure workflows are followed and standards adhered to.
- Assisting with customer documentation requirements.
- Triage various email inboxes and ensure agreed service standards are maintained.
- Send out customer invoices/quotes and chase outstanding payments.
- Dealing with both incoming and outgoing post, overseeing office facilities and stock ordering/ maintenance as necessary.
- Assisting with the arranging of company meetings, agendas, hotel & restaurant bookings.
- Diary and email management for the team.
- Individual workflow and task delivery.
As Overleaf is a fast-growing company, there will also be opportunities for the person hired for this position to grow and develop, and to take on additional responsibility, if desired.
How we work
Overleaf is remote-first — all founders and staff work remotely. Our main office is located in London, UK, and we aim to get the whole team together in London a couple of times a year for face-to-face time, Coronavirus permitting.
We encourage flexible working. Our core hours are 2pm–5pm UK time.
How we hire
The stages in our hiring process are typically as follows:
- We will aim to update you on the status of your application within one week from when we receive it.
- We'll follow up by email (or sometimes schedule a phone call) with any questions we have about your application, usually around logistics, your ambitions and your expectations about the role.
- We'll schedule a more in-depth interview, which is typically an hour long. The first half is a discussion about your skills and experience, and the second half is a practical exercise.
- We'll make an offer. We usually interview in batches, so there may be a short delay while we interview other candidates, but we will try to keep you informed throughout the process.
If you have a deadline, please let us know in your application, and we will try to be accommodating.
- Candidates should come from a Business Support/Administration/Accounts Assistant background with additional office management experience preferable.
- Accuracy-minded with a keen eye for detail.
- Good IT skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Intermediate skills in Excel.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills along with attention to detail and accuracy. Must have confident writing skills (most of our communication is via email).
- Confidentiality and integrity is required.
- Driven, team player, keen to learn new skills and flexible.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- A commitment to learn and develop.
This is a paid, full-time position. You would be based in the UK with convenient access to London, and salary will be based on experience. Benefits include:
- Remote and flexible working.
- You would join a small, dedicated, and growing team.
- We're part of Digital Science and backed by Bethnal Green Ventures, through which we're part of a wider community of startups in science, health and ed-tech.
- We’ll provide a new Mac, PC or Linux laptop, along with a stipend for other equipment.
- We provide a training budget; many of our staff choose to attend relevant industry conferences or buy training materials.
- We run a biweekly internal seminar series (show and tell) with short talks from staff about their work or personal projects, new technologies and techniques.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.