Startups Intern / Remote / ODX / Full-Time / Part-Time
TL;DR: The On Deck Startups Org is powered by ODX and ODF. ODX invests in ambitious people at the earliest stages from a $100m fund, as well as a community fund - aligning the entire On Deck Ecosystem behind founders in a customized 90-day accelerator. ODF is a pre-accelerator — our goal is to prepare founders for ODX by helping them find cofounders, find and validate an idea, and build the core startup knowledge they need to be successful in an accelerator environment.
ODX is supporting founders at the earliest stages - investing $125,000 for 7% - more details over at: https://beondeck.com/x If you believe that talent is equally distributed, but opportunity is not, then being a Startups Intern for global ODX companies may be right for you.
This role reports to Barry Conrad, General Manager of the Startups Org at On Deck.
About On Deck
On Deck is a global community where ambitious, talented people start and scale companies and invest in their careers, among a cohort of their peers. Please see here for more information about our supporters and investors as well as our wall of love.
The Startups Intern will play a crucial role in supporting two key areas, one permanent and one flexible based on experience. Each area will be split 50% time each.
The permanent role is supporting the Startups Org in its hiring operations efforts including but not limited to creating new job postings, working directly with hiring managers, screening inbound applicants. This role helps the org provide a world-class experience to interested applicants. The role will dedicate 50% of its time to this task.
The flexible role is based on the candidate’s experience and interest. The Startups Org moves fast and has opportunities to support growth, investing, program operations, back-office support, or networks departments. The role will dedicate 50% of its time to this task.
Responsibilities / What you’ll do - Hiring Coordination (Permanent):
- Coordinate, schedule, and manage the logistics around a prospective team member.
- Coordinate, schedule, and manage the administrative hiring team, typically 2-3 people that will interview and meet with a prospective team member.
- Manage and upkeep the applicant tracking system (ATS) -- we use Lever
- Manage a clean and clear pipeline of candidates, making sure hiring managers are communicating openly and often with prospective team members
- Organize and manage our ATS and connect it with our internal team documentation and processes -- we use Notion.
Responsibilities / What you’ll do - Variable Opportunity (Based on experience or interest):
- You will have opportunities to be involved in one or several areas within the Startups Org: Growth, Back Office, Investing, Program Operations, Networks.
- There are constantly new projects and initiatives that are being spun up within the Startups Org and you’ll have an opportunity to plug into these areas based on need, experience, and interest.
Requirements / Who you are:
- You have a genuine love and knowledge of startups - you read books and articles about businesses, have worked on them yourself, and have a deep desire to learn about various markets and sectors.
- Alternatively, you may be interested in VC and not yet have experience, but have worked in and around startups.
- You are exceptionally well organized and can juggle multiple candidates, team members, and hiring stages at once.
- You have a knack for logistics and streamlined processes and can create a legible internal system for the Startups Organization to rely on when hiring for an open role.
- You are able to manage multiple schedules at once and are inclined to schedule with team members and candidates today as opposed to next week.
- You are excited about working at an early-stage startup and thrive on ambiguity.
- You want to be part of a fast-moving team reinventing the way entrepreneurs start companies globally.
What might excite you about us:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential. Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck was a remote-first team even before COVID, so we know what makes for a great remote environment.
- You'll have a lot of flexibility in your role, and will be able to help define what our operations infrastructure looks like going forward.
- We're backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Village Global, Keith Rabois, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. (Read more about our Series A in this memo)
Why you might *not* be excited about us:
- We are still a fairly young company with about 200 people, so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You'll help create our company's culture.
- We're an early-stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.