Knowledge Management Specialist / Remote / Operations / Full-Time
TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage startup seeking "Chief Notion Officer" / documentation junkie / internal librarian. In doing so, we’ll empower the most ambitious people in the world to build the future. Details below!
About On Deck
On Deck is where ambitious people grow, together.
On Deck is where the world's top talent comes to connect. Whatever it is our fellows want to do next, our ever-growing community and action-oriented programming will help them get there—fast. If our fellows want to learn something new to up-level their career, launch and scale big ideas, or make lifelong friends, this is the place.
In your role, you’ll help establish, maintain, and scale systems for capturing our team's knowledge across cutting-edge tools and architectures, while also serving as an internal evangelist and educator for what you build - we primarily use Notion, Slack, Airtable, and Zapier.
You'll be one part Notion Pro and one part internal educator, not only diving deep into our stack of tools, but also teaching teammates how to create their own systems, workflows, and process so that the entire team is supercharged and empowered to build their own tools, enabling yourself to stay focused on high-leverage work to scale the ways we manage knowledge internally.
We're right around 100 people, and showing no signs of slowing down. This role is crucial for scaling the On Deck magic touch and our various playbooks across the company. This piece by Julian Lehr on a "Chief Notion Officer" will give you a good idea of what this role will look like.
You'll be surrounded and supported by a documentation-rich, async-first culture; this team LOVES to write things down, and is eager to work with you and your skillset to scale these systems. You'll also work closely with our Chief of Staff to get a sense for the organization quickly and identify that you can add impact from days 1-100 and beyond.
The letter that our Chief of Staff sent teammates when we initially migrated to Notion when we were about 15 teammates. That architecture has scaled well to our current team size of ~100, but will require additional refinement to continue growing and scaling.
How and why we've embraced no-code and documentation to scale our operations far beyond what our headcount may belie.
Who you are:
- Notion power user - you know and deeply understand the features, quirks, and hacks that make the tool amazing (think database relations, rollups, advanced templates and filters, etc). In addition to Notion, you're comfortable with pro features of tools like Airtable, GSuite, Slack, and more. Maybe you've even wired up some automations in Zapier!
- Excellent communicator and natural educator - you are patient, empathetic, and kind when helping understand individuals' workflows, and thoughtful and forward thinking when helping them develop the skills and designing the perfect systems for their goals. You're clear and concise when communicating verbally or through written documentation.
- Detail-oriented awareness - you're passionate about sweating the small stuff when it counts, but also aware of when something can be shipped as "good enough".
- Altitude-switcher - your brand of problem-solving bridges the 10,000 foot vision and understanding the implications of an approach, while also being willing to get into the weeds and implement the solution you come up with.
- Eager to learn about where each team across the On Deck team fits into the broader vision, and to help team leaders and individuals build systems to achieve that mission - you'll gain exposure to every facet of the company.
- Bonus (not required): Experience architecting software or no-code systems for managing information, experience with employee onboarding / training, academic background in databases, familiarity with APIs. Maybe you're even (or have considered becoming) a Notion Consultant, a Notion Ambassador, or similar!
- Please apply whether or not you think the bonus bullet point applies to you!
What you will do:
- Scale our Notion workspace and other knowledge management systems - making sure that team-wide resources are legible, discoverable, and accessible
- Educate teammates internally on how to use these tools (e.g. hosting workshops / office hours internally, working 1:1 with team leads and their use cases). You'll also document your teachings such that you never have to repeat the same thing twice!
- Work with our People Ops and Operations teams to reinforce strong principles and best practices around knowledge management in the DNA of our company, from onboarding through launch, and from interns to our CEO.
- Create automations and documentation to streamline common processes, using tools like Zapier as well as experimenting with new tools like the Notion API, Slack integrations, and more.
Why you might be excited about us:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential. Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck was a remote-first team even before COVID, so we know what makes for a great remote environment.
- You'll have a lot of flexibility in your role, and will be able to help define what our operations infrastructure looks like going forward.
- We're backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Village Global, Keith Rabois, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. (Read more about our fundraise and 50-year vision here.)
Why you might *not* be excited about us:
- We are a young company with about 100 people, so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You'll help create our company's culture.
- We're an early stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.