Director, South-East Asia / Remote / Expansion / Full-Time
TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage startup seeking an SEA Director to lead our growth efforts in the South-East Asia region. In doing so, we’ll empower the most ambitious people in the world to build the future. Details below!
About On Deck
On Deck's mission is to expand the startup economy.
We're a startup accelerator and a career accelerator. Whether you’re starting a company, joining a company, or just getting better at your job, On Deck creates networks that help you achieve your goals.
We've built a community of 8,000+ founders, operators, investors and domain experts. On Deck fellows have collectively founded 700 startups and raised $800M from top-tier investors worldwide (e.g. a16z, Sequoia).
We recently unveiled our $100M community-backed fund to support ambitious builders even earlier with ODX, our newly-launched accelerator. ODX gives founders around the world access to top talent, experts and investors, while also building on-the-ground support through our local networks. 120 companies from 27 countries were selected to join the first ODX cohort out of 7,000+ applicants.
Our expansion outside of the United States started in Q4 2020 with Europe. Since then, we launched Israel, Canada and India. Today, ~30% of our community is based outside of the US. We're looking to launch new regions across the world in early 2022, including SEA, LatAm and Africa.
At On Deck, we believe talent is equally distributed — but access to opportunity is not. The Expansion team at On Deck aims to build our presence across different geographies, through:
- Sourcing the best local founders for our programs
- Directly supporting founders in ODF and ODX programs
- Building our local Networks in your region
You will work closely with Erika Batista (VP, Expansion) and Gautam Shewakramani (Director, India + APAC), as well as with the rest of the ODX team (Admissions, Networks, Capital, etc) to build our presence and support in your region.
What you will do:
- You will source, reach out to and close candidates for our On Deck startup programs, starting with ODF and ODX.
- You will help grow our local Networks with investors, experts and top talent.
- You will directly support founders in SEA and make sure that they derive great value from the program both globally and locally - this could include local introductions to talent, capital and customers, product/operations/go-to-market guidance and helping them in the earliest stages of their business.
- You will represent On Deck in the SEA ecosystems, speaking at events and being the face of the company locally.
- You will help us establish local partnerships with key stakeholders to support SEA founders (e.g. law firms, accounting services, VC funds, governments etc.)
- More broadly, you will work with the key ecosystem players to increase On Deck's brand recognition in SEA and our top of funnel.
Who you are:
- Significant early-stage startup experience as founder or early startup hire, having experienced venture-scale growth at a successful startup and developed operational expertise relevant to early-stage founders.
- Alternatively, experience as a startup investor, with a strong track record leading investments in the seed/pre-seed stages.
- Regardless of background, investment experience at a venture firm or as an angel investor is a big plus.
- Deeply connected in the local ecosystem among founders, VCs, and angel investors.
- Strong "spirit of service", where you think first how you can give rather than take, and always seek opportunities to support founders to the maximum of your ability.
- High ownership, execution, and hustle – an ability to operate and thrive in uncertainty.
- Great interpersonal skills, charisma, and enjoys building new relationships.
- Strong communication skills - verbal, written and presentation.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, often scrappy, sometimes chaotic environment.
- Experience in sales and/or partnerships is a plus.
Why you might be excited about us:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential. Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck was a remote-first team even before COVID, so we know what makes for a great remote environment.
- You'll have a lot of flexibility in your role, and will be able to help define what our operations infrastructure looks like going forward.
- We're backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Village Global, Keith Rabois, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. Read more about the launch of our $100 million community fund here, and about the launch of our ODX accelerator here.
Why you might *not* be excited about us:
- We are still a fairly young company with about 250 people, so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You'll help create our company's culture.
- We're an early stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.