Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Medium has launched a series of subscription-based publications that exist to serve readers, not advertisers — and we’re looking for a senior editor for books for our new business publication.
We want someone who has a keen eye for the narratives of business, the insights of economics, the challenges of entrepreneurship, the art of work, and the responsibilities of management. We want someone who can ask the right questions to develop superior coverage across those topic areas, and help identify trends and storylines in business as they grow from niche stories into broader societal discussion and cultural awareness.
This editor will commission and publish book excerpts from the major and emerging business authors of the day, as well as those publishing with indie or academic publishers whose ideas deserve a broader audience. This person understands how to make a book chapter read like an original article, and how to package it for maximum engagement. This editor will also commission adapted essays and original articles by authors, as well as Q&As with leading thinkers.
The right person for this role has several years of experience covering business. This editor will also have some experience covering books or a strong interest in learning the publishing industry.
What will you do?
- Solicit, secure, and edit interesting, definitive conversation-starting book excerpts, adapted essays, author Q&As, and other books coverage
- Identify and engage emerging authors whose books can command a wider audience
- Work with staff members and writers on story packaging, including display copy
- Liaise with design and editorial leadership on the creative execution and packaging of excerpts and commissioned stories
- Work with editorial team leadership on special projects and monthly themed packages
- Bring good ideas to work every day
Who are you?
- You have 4+ years of editing experience in journalism, with some portion of that time covering business and/or books
- You are passionate about business, entrepreneurship, work, management, and companies and individuals, both emerging and already essential.
- You don’t pitch stories based on press releases
- You are up to date on the publishing world and have sources within the major and indie publishing houses
- You have a rolodex of book authors who can also contribute original reported pieces or essays
- You care about words, and can deliver well-edited stories on a deadline
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands the importance of framing a story for maximum reader engagement
- You’re comfortable working in a startup environment
- You like to tackle problems quickly, rather than let them linger
- You love straightforward and effective communication and easily get your point across
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere