You’re the kind of person who:
- Is so passionate about math education that you could speak about it all day long
- Wants to make an impact on students and teachers
- Dreams up new ways to teach math concepts in your spare time
- Is known among your colleagues for getting things done
Perhaps you're a trained math teacher looking to make a difference beyond the walls of your classroom? Do you have some curriculum writing experience, and are you thinking about doing something fulfilling where you have a pivotal role in a growing organization?
This is a unique opportunity for a self-starting individual to be part of a young and ambitious company looking to create large-scale solutions for teaching and learning mathematics. Ideally, you have 2-4 years of experience, with a background in middle or high school teaching and/or administration, focused on mathematics or STEM. You have experience in math curriculum writing, and are fluent in using technology in the classroom. Experience in teaching and writing content for Common Core standards is an advantage.
Mathspace is an education technology company based in New York, and headquartered in Sydney, Australia. Mathspace’s highly innovative adaptive math program allows students to receive feedback at every step of a math problem, with handwriting recognition for mobile devices. Each step of students’ math reasoning is automatically graded, with feedback, hints and suggestions guiding students to the final answer.
Mathspace’s step-by-step approach means data is collected at multiple points in a problem, which can then be used to personalize the learning experience for each individual through our adaptive engine. Mathspace combines this student notebook with a teacher dashboard and a full digital textbook, including lessons, interactive widgets, and thousands of instructional videos, all aligned to multiple US and global curricula.
About the role
As Math Curriculum Specialist, you will be part of a Mathspace product team, focused on developing math content for US schools. You will be responsible for developing math content aligned to standards for elementary, middle and high school math, including problem writing, instructional videos, assessments and project-based learning modules. This role requires an ability to understand, interpret and create materials aligned to various state curriculum standards, Standards of Mathematical Practice, state assessments, and research-driven, best practice pedagogy.
Be warned, this is not your average 9-5 job. At Mathspace we’re looking to change the world, one math problem at a time, by creating the math curriculum of the future. By thinking outside the box and challenging the status quo, our small team has made huge inroads in a market dominated by global publishing houses, and we’re looking for passionate individuals to join us in our mission.
Mathspace is based in New York, NY, but we have flexible working arrangements, and we are looking for candidates who will work remotely, but are based in the United States.
- Content creation: Develop middle and/or high school math content aligned to state standards, including problems, lessons, instructional videos, assessments and project-based learning modules.
- Collect and synthesize customer feedback to monitor customer engagement and feed into product development
- Maintain an enthusiastic, can-do mindset and outgoing personality that inspires our customers and fellow team members
- Communicate team’s customer feedback across internal teams, especially with the Curriculum team and Product teams
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree, preferably with a math/STEM/education major
- 2-4 years of middle or high school teaching and/or administrative experience, with a background in mathematics or STEM
- Excellent conceptual understanding of secondary level mathematics
- Experience in, and evidence of, math curriculum writing at a middle/high school level, preferably aligned to CCSS
- Highly adept with technology, and quick to learn new technologies and apply solutions
- Ability to communicate across all levels of an organization, excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Strong analytical skills (e.g. reporting, excel, data analysis); experience with data driven instruction and business communications
- Thrives in ambiguity, enjoying the challenge of independently solving issues and offering solutions for customers where there is no pre-defined path
- Can contribute to Mathspace culture: open to giving and receiving feedback, loves to delight customers, highly resourceful, humble, makes high impact with limited time/resources, gets things done
- Experience across multiple curriculum standards
- Experience in coding or software development
- Experience in leadership positions and inspiring others to action (sales, leadership, fundraising, public service)
- Entrepreneurial background or startup experience
- Competitive salary
- Travel Allowance
- Flexible work hours and conditions - work from the office, home and on the road
- A culture focused on coaching to help our staff develop new skills
- A dynamic, exciting environment where each day is different, and you can help define the journey of the organization
- True ownership of work. You’ll drive your threads of work, our customers and partners will know who you are, and you’ll help grow the company. Your ideas matter.
- The opportunity to use cutting edge technology to transform mathematics education
- Fulfillment from knowing you’re playing a crucial role improving the lives of teachers, parents and students