Help Scout is a remote-first company with 100+ employees working from 40+ cities all over the world to build helpful, human customer support tools. Our mission is to build a world-class team full of diverse, talented people that are united by an enthusiasm for great products and being helpful to others. Together, we build tools that enable more than 10,000 customers in 140 countries to communicate with customers in the most human, helpful way.
We are currently looking for a humble, hard-working, meticulous, self-motivated Controller to join our small, but mighty Finance team. Our Finance team works primarily in Eastern Time Zone, but our stakeholders live all over the world! As a remote company, we look for folks who can adapt and learn quickly, are eager to work in a fast-paced environment, have excellent attention to detail, great communication and time management skills. If you read this and got excited about the impact you can bring to our team, then we’d love to talk to you!
As a member of the Business team, your goal is to….
- Own the compiling of our financial statements from beginning to end for both our US company and its Canadian subsidiary.
- Ensure all spending is aligned with company policies, suggest ways to improve efficiency and spending
- Produce error-free accounting reports and present their results.
- Ensure an accurate and timely month close, while partnering with FP&A to analyze and rectify if necessary, budget to actual variances.
- Manage all tax compliance items, which includes: sales tax, use tax, annual reports, etc.
- Responsible for taking the lead in year-end audits, and providing the third-party auditing team with all requested documents/schedules.
- Constantly finding ways to improve all of our accounting processes and controls.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA preferred
- This isn’t your first rodeo. You’ve held similar positions in the past, and as a bonus, we’d love to see experience in public accounting.
- Hands-on experience with accounting software packages, like Intacct or QuickBooks
- You are deadline-driven with a strong worth ethic, and demonstrate a commitment to accuracy while working on a lot of projects at once.
- You understand and practice impeccable confidentiality and professionalism.
- Strong communication skills are essential in a remote culture and you have no problem expressing yourself clearly verbally and in writing, and can adapt your tone depending on your audience.
- Everyone looks to you for the latest tips and tricks in MS Excel, and the words “Vlookup” and“pivot table” excite you.
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles(GAAP)
- Experience in SaaS sector a plus
Tools we use
- Sumo(Help Scout’s back-end system)
Who you'll work with
- Shawna Fisher, CFO - This role reports to Shawna.
- Kyle Reid works on the Finance team. He takes pride in wearing many different hats and currently handles the day to day finance operations.
- Julie Menge - HR Operations Lead - Julie is our bridge between the Finance and People Ops team, and owns compliance and operational HR projects.