At Help Scout, we make support software that helps more than 10,000 small businesses talk with their customers. We’re a fully remote team of 100+ employees in 75+ cities around the world. 🌎
Over the years, we’ve built a large, engaged audience by publishing educational, top-of-funnel content for support professionals and small business leaders. We approach content as an embodiment of our vision to empower customer-centric businesses with tools that serve customers in the most helpful, human way.
In 2021, we want to improve our presence in search when our target customers are looking for the solutions Help Scout provides, and we’re looking for a content writer passionate about our product to help us meet this goal.
This content writer will be the content team’s resident subject-matter expert on both our audience and Help Scout’s product. You’ll work closely with leadership, product marketing, product management, sales, and support to develop both a deep understanding of the pain points our customers have and how Help Scout eliminates those pain points. Then, you’ll transform all of that knowledge into search-optimized blog posts and landing pages that attract new prospects and convert them into customers.
If you believe, like we do, that great customer service isn’t a cost center — it’s an effective marketing tool, a competitive differentiator, and a cornerstone of a brand — we’d love to hear from you.
As the Content Writer you will:
- Develop a deep understanding of our customers and market. You’ll learn as much as you can about our customers: their motivations for using our product, the feedback they have, and the ways we’re helping their businesses grow. You’ll also be expected to develop and maintain a healthy awareness of our competitive landscape.
- Create helpful, relevant, search-optimized content. You’ll build on your knowledge and follow detailed SEO briefs to write articles, landing pages, and guides for people who are looking for a solution like Help Scout. Once you’re ramped up, you’ll be producing 8-10 new pieces of content each month. Here are a few examples of the types of content you might create: Example 1, Example 2, Example 3, Example 4.
- Articulate and amplify the value of our product. Collaborating with the product and marketing teams, you’ll become the content team’s resident expert on the product. You’ll ensure that our value proposition is always clear and well-stated.
- You’re curious about how businesses use software to deliver excellent customer service and better communicate with their users.
- You love telling customer stories and are eager to understand our customers’ journeys—you’re comfortable reaching out to get feedback and conducting interviews.
- You enjoy testing and reviewing new tools. You can clearly communicate a tool’s strengths and weaknesses as they relate to solving a particular problem.
- You’re adept at turning what you learned through your research into highly targeted, persuasive, and helpful content.
- You don’t mind following a detailed brief to ensure that the content you create is exactly what readers are looking for.
- You’re able to work mostly autonomously. While you’ll work closely with other members of the content team and larger organization, you’re excited about jumping in and really owning our product content, conducting the necessary research, and publishing new content frequently.
Who you'll work with:
- Kristen Bryant, Director of Content, will be your manager.
- Jessica Greene, SEO Strategist, will be your editorial manager, providing you with assignments and briefs and helping with new projects.
- Mathew Patterson, Customer Service Evangelist, will be your counterpart on our writing team and an incredible source of knowledge and advice about the world of customer support.
- Alex Eaton, Product Marketer, will be a key partner to you as you develop your product knowledge.