At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We unite employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
The Stack team is responsible for the development of Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana, and our ML technology. This includes development, design, documentation, and testing. The Stack team also includes the Infrastructure team, which includes some internal applications and our CI system. We are seeking a leader that can work across these teams, manage competing priorities and resource allocations, while tying these decisions to our business strategy and support of all of our products and solutions that build on top of the Stack.
Stack engineers are distributed, with engineers spanning the world in each area team that makes up the team. This provides for efficient hiring and 24 hour coverage while requiring a new type of communication that depends more heavily on written communication than traditional office environments.
The Stack leader will resonate with our value system (link to source code) and will bring a collaborative and humble attitude with a strong passion for excellence in engineering and make a large scale impact to the team and company.
Please note this role can be located anywhere in the USA as long as you're comfortable working from home or a non-affiliated co-working space.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Work with engineering leaders to ensure ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana) Stack’s product roadmap is understood and delivered efficiently
- Work across Elastic to drive the Stack’s direction and ensure it meets the needs of all of the teams that depend on it
- Assign owners and coordinate delivery of cross-team initiatives
- Scale our ELK Stack engineering teams over the next few years, while keeping a focus on diversity
- Shape the organization, identify areas where new leadership is required
- Grow and nurture teams as needed. Hire, promote, manage, and mentor leaders for each team
- Advocate for strong engineering practices, maintainable software, and operations-friendly behavior of the software
- Be engaged and understand what individuals are working on, drive execution of the roadmap, maintain credibility with engineers, and participate in technical discussions
What You Bring Along:
- Must have led a team of Engineers and managers (Minimum of 200+)
- Must have led On-Prem software delivery with a maintenance cycle
- Must have ran and delivered enterprise scale software solutions
- Experience with at least one of these cloud providers (GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Strong performance management
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible
** Additional Information:**
Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid parental leave (moms & dads)
Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Distributed-first company with Elasticians in over 30 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages!
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.