Elastic is a search company with a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the creators of the Elastic Stack, we help thousands of organizations including Cisco, eBay, Grab, Goldman Sachs, ING, Microsoft, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and many more use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We have a distributed team of Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting), and our diverse open source community spans over 100 countries. Learn more at elastic.co
Engineering a distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a challenge. It requires software development skills and the ability to think like a user. We care deeply about giving you ownership of what you’re working on. Our company believes we achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of; we feel that you should be empowered to comment on anything, regardless of your role within the company. Our team builds Elasticsearch, the heart of the Elastic Stack.
We're looking for a Senior Java Engineer to join the Elasticsearch - Security team, focusing on making Elasticsearch more secure for our user community. This is a senior software engineering role that covers new features, enhancements to existing features, and resolving bugs. We design and write code (including automated tests) and documentation. We review one another’s code via GitHub pull requests, and we investigate and fix bugs. We do all of this transparently on GitHub. Security is a broad term, and we work on a variety of features in that space - Authentication, Authorization, Auditing, TLS and Certificate Management, Cryptography. We’re responsible for the sorts of things that show up under a “Security” heading on a product feature list. Here’s exactly that list for the Elastic Stack.
Elasticsearch is a distributed application written in Java, dedicated to performance and scalability. We’re looking for Senior engineers who are able to design new product features while thinking through the concurrency and performance implications of those designs.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Evolving the security features of Elasticsearch.
- Implementing authentication, authorization, and other security protocols within Elasticsearch.
- Building the foundation of security for the ELK Stack using knowledge of cryptographic primitives and security trade-offs.
- Prototyping new ideas and experimenting openly.
- Collaborating in the open with the Elasticsearch team, Elastic Stack users, and others supporting open source projects.
- Working with the community on bugs and performance issues and assisting out support engineers with tougher customer issues.
What You Bring Along:
- Hands-on technical experience in software engineering, preferably with a focus on server side Java development
- You are highly proficient in Java, conversant in the standard library of data structures and concurrency constructs, as well as newer features like lambdas.
- Very strong algorithm implementation and optimization skills
- Experience securing applications and knowledge of security protocols.
- Experience with Identity and Access Management / Authentication and Authorization
- Experience implementing Single-Sign-On protocols such as SAML or OpenID Connect.
- Experience with Apache Lucene.
- You've worked in open source before and are familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
- You've built things with Elasticsearch before, and understand how distributed systems operate and the limitations and advantages.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Elasticsearch, Inc. (“Elastic”) which is located at 800 W. El Camino Real, Suite 350 Mountain View, CA 94040 USA, and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Elastic’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Elastic, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment. Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Elastic to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Elastic’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the standard contractual clauses. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at email@example.com. Elastic’s data protection officer is Daniela Duda, who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. We plan to keep your data until our open role is filled. We cannot estimate the exact time period, but we will consider this period ended when a candidate accepts our job offer for the position for which we are considering you. When that period is over, we may keep your data for an additional period no longer than 3 years in case additional opportunities present themselves in which yours skills might be better suited. For additional details, please see our Elastic Privacy Statement https://www.elastic.co/legal/privacy-statement.