Elastic is a free and open search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real-time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
About The Role:
The Platform team develops and maintains the core frameworks and services that other Elastic Cloud application teams consume to manage, access, and observe data across both our SaaS and on-prem offerings, all powered by the Elastic stack. We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with a strong interest and background in Elasticsearch and other distributed storage systems to join our Data Services division within the Cloud Platform team.
You excel at debugging complex failure scenarios and analyzing difficult performance problems. You’ll analyze our current system, it’s strengths and limitations. Additionally, you like to lead by example and are an experienced mentor and leader who enjoys helping others think through technical problems, and working with teams to come up with elegant solutions.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Design and build software that manages the storage systems powering Elastic Cloud
- Review and create technical designs and build POCs for new efforts, validating a wild idea works before committing to it
- Participate in code reviews for your team and other teams
- Collaborate with other Elastic engineering teams when working on cross-team efforts
- Debug production technical issues inside a sophisticated stack involving virtualization, containers, microservices, etc.
- Mentor new team members, both junior and senior
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What You Bring Along:
- Proven experience with a track record of delivering high-quality code, preferably in JVM programming languages and/or Go, but not required
- Strong interest and background in distributed storage systems (we use Elasticsearch and ZooKeeper)
- Deep understanding of distributed systems and communication between services
- Deep understanding of the HTTP layer and RESTful API design standards
- Familiarity with standard RESTful API authentication methods and security best practices
- Familiarity setting up sophisticated ingestion and application tracing flows, preferably using the Elastic Stack
- Ability to communicate well with individuals and groups to accomplish a common set of goals
- You care deeply about the resilience and quality of the features you ship
- You love working with a global team in a distributed work environment
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email email@example.com.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.