At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to real time Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
Thanks to our ongoing expansion we have the opportunity to grow our Site Reliability team. We're a part of the Elastic Cloud engineering team with a focus on solving Cloud operations problems and keeping the SaaS online, who aren’t afraid to get our hands dirty. We are the first line of consumers for Elastic's products and our experience helps influence the direction of the stack. While most organizations may have a single or a handful of Elastic Stack deployments, here you’ll be responsible for identifying, troubleshooting and reporting platform problems to product engineers (or fixing the code yourself) in order to ensure that the thousands of Elasticsearch clusters we manage are providing a stable and reliable service. We’re looking for people who are just as passionate about troubleshooting issues with distributed systems as they are to automate, code and collaborate to solve problems.
- You will report and solve problems within the Elastic Cloud infrastructure services and collaborate on issues with product engineers
- You will participate in SRE software engineering, writing code for the continuing reduction of human intervention in operational tasks and automation of processes
- You will monitor the Elastic Cloud platform and Cloud infrastructure, responding to incidents, correcting and improving systems to prevent incidents and planning capacity
- You will manage Cloud provider infrastructure, system deployments and product releases
- You will be involved in resolving Elastic Cloud customer support issues
- You will demonstrate and promote best practices for teams using Cloud platforms
- You will participate in 24x365 on-call schedules
- You have 2-3 years experience providing technical leadership and mentoring members of a Site Reliability Engineering team
- You have experience establishing, monitoring, and reporting on team Service Level Objectives
- You are a software-focused engineer with real interest, and ideally some experience, in Linux systems, networking, monitoring and automation.
- You have at least three years of experience using a public Cloud; AWS, GCP, Azure, SoftLayer or OpenStack
- You are comfortable writing software to automate API-driven tasks at scale. SRE's use Python and Go regularly but are also encouraged to contribute to the product codebase in Java, Scala, and Python.
- You have used Ansible, Puppet, Chef or another config management suite, know where it's broken, and open to trying new alternatives
- You preferably have extensive GovCloud experience
- Healthy knowledge of Linux (have compiled your own kernel at some point, know how to trace syscalls, understand TCP, care about the difference between sysvinit/runit/systemd, etc.)
- Relentless desire to automate and build software tools
- Desire to represent work in git, driven by a GitHub workflow through issues and pull requests
- Love open source development, and have contributed to some project somewhere (doesn't have to be ours), whether through mailing lists, patches, documentation, etc.
- Enjoy working remotely and the communication it requires
- Love a diverse environment, working with people all over the world
We're looking to hire team members invested in realising the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid in full parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.