Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about making the internet a safer place for everyone.
We’re looking for motivated and analytical contributors to join the DigitalOcean Security Operations Center as a SOC Analyst. In this role, you will be a key member of DigitalOcean’s security team, charged with improving the security posture of DigitalOcean both reactively and proactively, ensuring a safe cloud infrastructure for both customers and internal users. You will gain skills in one or more focal areas including platform abuse, legal/regulatory enforcement, digital forensics, incident response, and enterprise security. You will use your analytical skills to identify and eliminate bad actors inside the DigitalOcean platform. This is a full-time position based out of Bangalore, India and will require occasional travel to our offices in New York or Boston for training, team building, and company events.
With over 200,000 customers utilizing 10+ data centers and 10,000+ hypervisors every day, our Security Operations Center never loses sight of the role we play in making the internet a more secure place for everyone.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Vetting abuse claims, responding to reporters, and helping customers get back on the platform.
- Analyzing network traffic to identify compromised systems, negate denial of service attacks, and pinpoint resource abuse.
- Locating trends in abuse vectors, communicating with leadership to apprise of extent, and advocating for appropriate product changes to prevent future occurrences.
- Maintaining the usability of DigitalOcean IP space by brokering de-listing requests from “drop lists” or block listings that prevent the flow of email for our customers.
- Evaluating hosted content and following up based on DigitalOcean’s Acceptable Use Policy (which may include adult or inappropriate content).
- Processing copyright violations conforming to DMCA requirements, actioning trademark infringement reports containing valid proof of registration, and consulting with Legal department resources to discuss gray-areas and evaluate company risk.
- Investigate, identify and prevent or mitigate abusive activities such as intrusion attempts, DDoS, malware distribution, phishing attacks, etc. originating from DigitalOcean Platform.
- Work within a queue management system with specific daily targets on the number of customer contacts completed with a quality resolution.
- Be responsible for end-to-end operational processes and handle escalations by providing business solutions.
- Provide guidance and oversight to customers to ensure compliance to all applicable DigitalOcean Policies.
- Collaborate with the Security organization and Infrastructure teams to harden account, platform, and service structures to combat hijackings and compromises.
- Understand internal tools and processes and leverage those to push automation.
- Understand and apply legal concepts of fair use as applied to copyright, trademark, defamation, and plagiarism.
- Assist with developing and maintaining SOPs.
What You’ll Add to DigitalOcean:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- policy enforcement
- user trust, risk, fraud or product abuse investigation
- network security
- security operations
- incident response
- Understanding of hardware, software, and networking; distributed computing; virtualization; high-performance storage systems; databases; and cloud computing
- Background with relevant technology (e.g. DNS, SMTP), and understanding of Linux systems.
- Understanding of internet economics, social and technical attributes, with knowledge of the cloud ecosystem.
- Familiar with reading a packet capture (e.g. WireShark/CloudShark).
- Understanding of TCP/IP concepts, application protocols and knowledge of database structures and working with Unix/Linux.
- Very strong communication skills, prioritization and multitasking capabilities.
- Exceptional analytical thinking through data-driven decisions, as well as the technical know-how.
- Positive attitude with a desire to keep our customers and the internet safe.
- Bonus: Experience working in a privacy role with access privileges to sensitive data.
- Bonus: Knowledge of Programming/Scripting (Ruby, Python, Bash)
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge, Palo Alto and Bangalore, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Security #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Security team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!