Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love
DigitalOcean’s Managed Databases Team builds and runs cloud-scale distributed systems powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly and easily as possible. We’re looking for engineers responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of products including Database-as-a-Service, particularly in the areas of NoSQL such as MongoDB.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to work on a small team focused on Database-as-a-Service products. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Managed Databases team within the Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) organization within Engineering.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Participating in development of external customer-facing Managed Database products, with an affinity for NoSQL technologies such as MongoDB
- Working on technically challenging distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile, self-managed team of peers
- Leveraging interesting technologies such as Go, Docker, Kafka, and more
- Integrating with many components across the DigitalOcean stack
- Evangelizing the work of the team with Engineering, Product, Design, and beyond
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Multiple years of production engineering experience operating NoSQL backends, such as MongoDB
- A solid understanding of building and maintaining distributed systems
- A desire in the area of resilience engineering, fault tolerance, and failure domains as they relate to database backends
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, or Go. Golang is preferred as it is used very widely among DigitalOcean engineering teams.
- Working knowledge of microservices using container workload engines and frameworks such as Docker and Kubernetes
- A strong background and exposure to different databases, specifically NoSQL systems (MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis)
- Familiarity with prevalent message bus and queuing technologies (Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Passion for a simple but delightful user experience and ability to work closely with front-end developers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate and demonstrate empathy with key stakeholders, both spoken and written
- Love writing new and improving existing code with an strong emphasis on testing and maintainability
- Work well in a small team and able to balance and prioritize projects and requests
- A positive energy and passion for delighting customers
- Demonstrated ability to work at multiple levels of the stack
- Ideal hire locations for this role include US/CA/DE/NL/IN
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!