Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean’s Managed Database is welcoming a new technical engineering manager to support our engineers, grow our culture, and lead the team developing our customer-facing managed database products. This person will be responsible for guiding the development of a mixed-skill engineering team, facilitating communications, providing clarity of vision and priority, and empowering the team to create creative solutions for our partners and customers.
The Managed Database team focuses on supporting the operations and development of platform and API solutions of DigitalOcean Managed Database products.
We are excited to meet candidates who share our passions for technology solutions, healthy services, and being loving service providers, team members, and leaders.
What You’ll Be Working On:
- Growing and leading a highly-collaborative remote engineering team
- Developing and shepherding complex NoSQL cloud database engineering projects, such as MongoDB
- Introducing and improving processes for team performance and quality-of-life
- Helping the team achieve higher standards of performance and product quality
- Collaborating with product owners and cross-functional teams to design idiomatic, feature-rich, and operationally sustainable software solutions
- Developing personal growth plans, providing feedback, and supporting the goals of individual team members and the team as a whole
- Facilitating transparent, constructive communication and a fair, but growth-oriented, distribution of responsibilities between team members
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
What We’ll Expect From You:
- A passion for leading, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- Interest in the cloud database technologies, particularly NoSQL
- Excitement about designing and operating services at scale or in the cloud
- An appreciation for process and developing cross-disciplinary collaboration between engineering, operations, support, and product groups
- Familiarity with end-to-end quality best practices and their implementation
- Enthusiasm for staffing, interviewing, growing, and retaining teams
- Background interfacing with and operating SQL and noSQL engines
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!