At Couchbase, big things happen. Every day, we’re translating vision into reality by tackling new and exciting challenges head-on. This is a breakthrough stage in our company, where the enthusiasm of our employees and leadership team is infectious and growing. You’ll have the opportunity to learn new skills, grow your career, and work with the smartest, most passionate people in the industry.
You are an Engineering Manager responsible for expanding and leading our teams building Couchbase Cloud products. Couchbase is growing rapidly, and the Cloud teams are at the forefront of our growth. You'll join at an ideal time to make a big impact. Our systems have scaled well to date but we need to expand our capabilities an order of magnitude. This means we need to conceive, design, build, and operate complex distributed systems and delightful user experiences and you can lead the team by staying close to the code, defining the product, designing the architecture, managing the team, recruiting excellent engineers, and growing the engineering team so each member achieves their full potential.
Here's a brief look at what success looks like in this role:
*In 3 months time- you'll have earned the trust of the team and channeled their talents to establish a cadence of predictable, on-time delivery with high-quality work.
*In 6 months time- you'll have established a reputation for you and your team as predictable technicians of high-quality software that is reliable, stable and secure.
*In 12 months time- you'll have made a material impact on the engineering organization by implementing the processes and automations to ensure Couchbase Cloud has the world's finest cloud engineering organization.
- Manage and grow teams of talented engineers, ensuring they deliver high quality, timely work and that they are happy, motivated, and growing
- Work with the product team to clarify and specify the future of the product
- Work with other leaders to deliver cross-cutting projects across multiple regions and clouds
- Scale humans and computer systems to accommodate hyper growth
- Contribute to shaping the future of the engineering organization
- Being hands-on by contributing code weekly (outside the critical path) to stay connected with the team and their experience
- Reviewing code to ensure specifications are implemented, software is correct, and user experiences are delightful
- Key technologies this role will employ: Go (Golang), Kubernetes, AWS, Azure, GCP, Grafana, Prometheus, Alert Manager, Thanos, Terraform, Vault, Couchbase Server, Datadog
- You have 5+ years of relevant experience
- You have knowledge of public cloud infrastructure such as AWS, Azure, and GCP
- You have a deep understanding of software testing, testability, and supportability
- The software you review and write is sympathetic to the humans who will maintain it
- You care deeply about software quality and operability, and better ways of building software
- Demonstrate excellent time management skills and the ability to make realistic assessments of product complexity
- You are kind and collaborative
- You have back-end and front-end experience
- You enjoy working remote with people from all over the world
- Value clear, open communication. We value thoughtful feedback, regular dialogue, and collaboration as fundamental skills on our team.
- You have managed teams programming in Go and TypeScript
- You have experience with Kubernetes
- You have managed a high-velocity team that delivers software as often as they want to
- You have Couchbase Server experience