Location: This role is Remote- North America based. Candidates can either be based in Canada or United States for this remote position.
Are you passionate about technology, open source and community building? Do you love building relationships with developers around the world and helping a global community thrive? Do you have ideas on how to engage with new users and to bring them into our developer community and keep them actively and happily building within it while learning from their experiences. Couchbase is looking for an experienced community builder to design, execute and manage programs that help scale Couchbase’s community building efforts.
Reporting to the Head of Community, you will be a key interface with the Couchbase developer community to make sure they have a great experience in the community, all the while bringing community insights back into Couchbase as you work with product and engineering to help us build the things our users need. You’ll need to organize developer focused activities, nurture new Couchbase Ambassadors, engage with adjacent developer communities and otherwise do pretty much whatever it takes to ensure community success.
The Community Relations Manager will play a central role in supporting three pillars of Couchbase’s community strategy:
Engagement: engage, nurture and grow Couchbase’s community of users and contributors and make them want to be active champions of our products and offerings
Events: help design, plan and execute developer-facing events
Community Leadership: empower leaders in the community who are passionate about supporting existing users and inspiring new ones
- Serve as the main interface for the community on Couchbase’s Community Discord and serve as the lead interface for several of Couchbase’s key community programs (eg. Ambassadors, Community Hub )
- Design and execute data-driven action plans for developing and growing new Community building programs, and constantly evaluating existing programs
- Work with the community to help produce the technical tools and educational materials necessary to create an amazing developer experience
- Mentor and cultivate participation skills among staff internally to better engage/collaborate with the Couchbase community
- Work with product teams to better the process community input into roadmaps and making roadmaps more visible publicly
- Develop and re-evaluate forecasting and collection of community health metrics, and ways to report on them
- Help define roles for community members, better their onboarding, map out engagement journeys, and in general ensure they have an excellent experience
- Co-design a better open source community, including the discovery of new projects to launch, surfacing up existing contributions, and ensuring the contribution process is as frictionless as possible
- Regularly curate developer-focused content to be published on our Discord and Community Hub
- 3+ years working with developer communities
- Some knowledge of software development methodologies, tools, and languages
- Experience with public speaking as well as building 1-1 relationships with community members
- Ability to take the initiative and work independently, while at the same time knowing how to ask for help when you get blocked
- Comfort with blogging and writing other content
- A data driven and analytical mindset, always willing to re-evaluate and course correct when needed
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Willingness to travel at least 20% of the time
- If you don’t see yourself in all of these items listed in responsibilities and experience yet still are attracted by the position, then we want to hear from you. We recognize and cultivate passion for working with our community, and the ability to learn on the job.