Trustworthy Smart Contracts Applied Researcher (Protocols R&D)
At ConsenSys we have a vision of a world where data sovereignty and financial well-being is accessible to every person and organization. We believe Ethereum and decentralized protocol technology is a more trustworthy and equitable foundation for how we create and share value across the web. On this trusted, open source foundation, we can accelerate the world’s transition to a universally accessible network of distributed participants where transparency, security and freedom are fundamental.
Our product suite, composed of Truffle, Infura, Quorum, Codefi, MetaMask, and Diligence, serves millions of users, supports billions of blockchain-based queries for our clients, and has handled billions of dollars in digital assets. As the leading Ethereum software company, ConsenSys enables developers, enterprises, and people worldwide to build next-generation applications, launch modern financial infrastructure, and access the decentralized web. To learn more about ConsenSys, and explore our products and solutions, visit http://consensys.net/.
Why join ConsenSys?
Remote first. You’ll be joining a team based all over the world. Providing the unique opportunity to work with people from many different countries and cultures. Want to work remotely? Go ahead. Or pop into one of our offices? We’ve got you covered in NYC, DC, Dublin, London, Paris, Brisbane and Hong Kong.
Flexible working arrangements. You can create your own journey with flexible schedules and locations. We believe everyone has the right to control their own freedom. Our people can make their own schedule, own their own time, and we encourage you to travel and work from anywhere in the world.
Continuous learning and opportunities. You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas and frameworks from your peers and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game. To support your development we pay for you to learn by offering unlimited access to Coursera, a platform with thousands of courses for you to learn whatever you want, and acquire new skills.
Unlimited vacation/holidays. We value downtime to recharge and reset, ensuring everyone at ConsenSys has work/life balance. Company-wide we participate in “zero productivity” days every quarter to take a break from work, shut down, and sit back and relax.
One of the most recognized tech companies in the blockchain ecosystem globally. Work experience at ConsenSys is a tremendous reference for your future career. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem.
About Protocol Engineering
ConsenSys Quorum is an open source protocol layer that enables enterprises to leverage Ethereum for their production blockchain applications. Businesses can rely on Quorum to provide the enterprise-grade networks they need to unlock value with blockchain. On top of Quorum, you can integrate product modules from ConsenSys, third-party vendors, or your own in-house development to build high-performance, customizable applications.
The Trustworthy Smart Contracts Team
The mission of the Trustworthy Smart Contracts team within ConsenSys Software R&D is to foster the use of formal verification techniques in the development cycle of smart contracts.
Our objective is to formally and rigorously prove qualitative and quantitative properties of smart contracts by leveraging advanced techniques and tools like:
- Verification-friendly programming languages (e.g Dafny, Why3),
- Interactive theorem proving (e.g. Isabelle/HOL, Lean, Coq),
- SMT-solvers (e.g. Z3),
- Model-checking (e.g. TLA+, Ivy, PSync, Spin).
What you’ll do
As a researcher in the Trustworthy Smart Contracts team you will:
- Contribute to the formal specification and verification of Solidity smart contracts;
- Develop techniques and tools to analyse and deploy reliable and secure smart contracts;
- Investigate techniques and tools to formally certify compilers (or passes thereof);
- Endeavour to communicate your results (workshop, conferences, journals, blog posts).
Would be great if you brought this to the role
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related area.
- Strong theoretical computer science foundations (logics, automata theory, program semantics and verification).
- Experience in using formal methods.
- Experience in design/semantics of programming languages, DSL
- Comfortable with “understanding/reverse engineering” code in a number of languages e.g. Java, Go, Rust, etc.
- Excellent communication skills in a wide variety of contexts, internal and public presentations, blog posts and academic papers.
- Capable of deep and creative thinking.
- Have a drive for excellence and quality.
- Open to learning and collaborative by nature; willing to give and receive feedback.
- Passionate about blockchain technology in general.
- Able to manage the uncertainties and ambiguities associated with working in a remote-first, distributed, decentralised environment.
Bonus Points for:
- PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related area.
- Experience in the formal analysis of software systems (interactive theorem proving, static analysis, model-checking, software verification).
- Experience in design/semantics of programming languages, DSL
- Track record of scientific publications.
- Previous experience in working in a remote-first environment.
Don't meet all the requirements? Don't sweat it. We’re passionate about building a diverse team of humans and as such, if you think you've got what it takes for our chaotic-but-fun, remote-friendly, start-up environment—apply anyway. While we have a pretty good idea of what we need, we're ready for you to challenge our thinking on who needs to be in this role.
ConsenSys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ConsenSys is aware of fraudulent recruitment practices and we encourage all applicants to review our best practices to protect yourself which can be found here.