The design team at Canonical is looking for a User Experience designer, expert in current design thinking with an appetite for technology and innovation.
Remote role (EMEA time zone required) with good travel opportunities, predominantly to the US and Europe. Great benefits on offer too.
Canonical is the company behind Ubuntu, the leading operating system for container, cloud, internet of things and hyperscale computing, central to modern tech from development to production.
Our design team, centred in Europe, has specialists in visual and UX design, and front and back end development. We collaborate, as product design squads, with global distributed development engineering teams.
We count on our team to bring together deep design-thinking, technical domain knowledge, with great instincts, through a rigorous process – to shape products for a very demanding audience. You’ll fit in if you have equal appetites for design, innovation and technology.
You are passionate about taking on complex design challenges meeting user needs and you enjoy working with the design team and teams across Canonical to deliver on the strategic vision for the company. You should have some experience as a user experience designer in either agency, company or freelance environments.
You will be working closely with other user experience and visual designers, front and back-end developers, and project management, as part of the design team, reporting to the Head of UX under the Design Director.
What you will be doing
You will be part of a team working on web applications for enterprise cloud services, IoT and embedded devices, bringing exciting new projects to life and improving existing ones.
- You will plan and conduct research with target users and stakeholders from the business to identify and document users' needs and requirements as well as business requirements and KPIs
- You will provide sketches on paper, wireframes, information architecture, prototypes and detailed specifications for implementation teams and for testing purposes.
- You will work with developers to communicate and evaluate designs through to implementation - keeping a constant and open communication channel and ensuring products are delivered to a high standard.
- We try as much as we can to share our experiences and knowledge within the team and to the community through informal presentations, the design blog and other events.
Required skills and experience
- Ability to create great looking wireframes that work across a variety of form factors
- Keenness for exploring alternative options and iterating designs based on input and feedback from the team, stakeholders, and users
- Aptitude for working at different levels of fidelity, taking an initial idea from sketches to final detailed artwork, and everything in between
- Desire to work collaboratively with team members across different disciplines
- Ability to articulate clearly and effectively your design decisions to team members, engineers and stakeholders
- Ability to work in an agile way and manage your own workload to deliver designs to agreed timescales
- Proficiency in using your preferred design and prototyping tools
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 2~4 years experience in a similar role
What we offer
- Opportunity to help shape a company and products with strong influence in the open source community
- A fantastic work environment within a team of friendly people with a broad range of skill sets, from UX and visual designers to researchers and engineers
- Opportunity to create work that will potentially be seen by millions of people
- Remote role (EMEA time zone required) with good travel opportunities, predominantly to the US and Europe. Great benefits on offer too.
- Benefits package, including cycle to work scheme, pension scheme and health insurance
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.