Home based - Americas or Western Europe
This role is on the Ubuntu Server team, the world's most popular cloud operating system. In this role, you will join the team responsible for Ubuntu Server. Ubuntu strives to deliver the latest-best free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we offer the industry. Applicants must be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large but innovative organisations.
Are you interested in developing software that is at the core of Ubuntu in the cloud? Do you have a passion to work with a community of users on Open Source software? Then we would love to have you join our software development team.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Design, build, and integrate new features and enhancements into Ubuntu that will support users of Ubuntu in the cloud
- Participate in strong engineering process through initial specification development and later code reviews
- Engage in bug-fixing work across a wide variety of components of the Ubuntu platform, helping to ensure that we produce regular high-quality releases and updates on time
- Actively engage with the open source community and commercial partners
- Take personal ownership of problems and drive them to solutions
Required skills and experience
Python development and tools experience
Involvement in open source projects in the past a plus
Capacity to learn quickly about new systems and techniques
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Degree level education, preferably in a technology field
Travel to international destinations is expected for 1 week at a time approximately 2-4 times per year. Locations in recent years have included Cape Town, Budapest, Berlin, Montreal, and Brussels.