Inverse is looking for a part-time writer on its editorial team. This role is central in our mission to explore the latest science around nutrition, health, exercise, psychology, and whole-body improvement.
Inverse’s target audience is comprised of young men who want to know how the latest science and innovation can help them live healthier lives. Part of our mission is to redefine what men’s health coverage looks like, and this writer will play a huge part in that.
The ideal candidate for this position has at least a year of relevant journalism experience. They are eager to set the latest scientific research in context and make it accessible for a mainstream audience. They are enthusiastic about their role in building out Inverse’s library of evergreen health guides, and can be counted on to turn a phrase that sticks with readers.
We are looking for a creative individual with a sense of humor, sharp critical thinking skills, and an enterprising attitude to join our diverse and dynamic team.
The right candidate will take on writing a series — our lineup includes Seared, Longevity Hacks, Not Sports, Leg Day Observer, Strategy, and Sunday Scaries — that helps further define Inverse in 2021. They will write about Inverse’s point of view on food, fitness, dieting, drugs, aging, behavior, mental health, sex, and death.
Are you equally excited about the chance to report on sleep science, the mysteries of the brain, or the “keto flu”? Can you explain the science behind supplements or the latest exercise trends? Does intermittent fasting fill you with story ideas? Then this is the job for you.
- Write one to two articles of varying length per day, including news explainers, study coverage, and evergreen guides
- Execute original story series
- Develop pitches and write compelling, clear ledes and nut grafs that draw the reader in
- Participate in morning pitch meetings
- Bring new readers to Inverse and build a loyal audience
- One year of relevant experience (internships or freelancing count)
- Excellent clips that show your original reporting/writing skills
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- An enthusiasm for explaining sometimes esoteric concepts for a mainstream audience
- Previous professional experience at a relevant digital media company